Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Practical Rune Magic  (Read 16050 times)
Opal
Seeker

View Profile
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:08:31 AM »

I have yet to get into this too deep or use it myself, but I'm sure the possibilities are endless.

Do you use runes for spellcasting or other forms of magic? What's your preferred way of going about it? (If you don't mind sharing, that is! Smiley)
ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 08:36:37 AM »

I use Runes in nearly every working that I do, these days. Normally, for spellwork, I select three or four appropriate Runes and simply place them on my working surface, reciting the intent of that particular Rune, as I lay it down. Last night, as a matter of fact, I was making some charm bags. For one of them, I created a bindrune from three pertinent Runes, and drew it on the bag into which I was placing my herbs and stones. I have no idea if this is what is considered a "correct" way to do things, but it is what feels right, to me, personally. As I don't subscribe to there being any right or wrong way to do things, when it comes to magic, I am comfortable going with whatever occurs to me. Hope this helps!  Smiley
Elizabeth
phoenix
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:29:41 PM »

One thing I have used runes for is inscribing them into candles before burning them.
winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 03:14:55 AM »

sometimes I find that the rune alone is enough, and its great that they are so portable so you can keep one in your pocket if you need its help that day - though b e careful not to loose it!

Other than that I have inscribed a candle, and also if on the beach its easy to grab a stick and put the markings into the sand and let the tide take the rune symbol away and do its work.

The great thing I find about the runes is that the symbols, though small enough to fit on a small tablet, give you alot to work with.
ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 09:19:29 AM »

I really love your idea of drawing a symbol in the sand and letting the tide take it away, Winter Night! That just gave me an idea to draw one on a piece of paper and burn, letting the smoke do the same as the water in your idea. Thank you!
Elizabeth
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 10:39:45 AM »

I use Runes in nearly every working that I do, these days. Normally, for spellwork, I select three or four appropriate Runes and simply place them on my working surface, reciting the intent of that particular Rune, as I lay it down. Last night, as a matter of fact, I was making some charm bags. For one of them, I created a bindrune from three pertinent Runes, and drew it on the bag into which I was placing my herbs and stones. I have no idea if this is what is considered a "correct" way to do things, but it is what feels right, to me, personally. As I don't subscribe to there being any right or wrong way to do things, when it comes to magic, I am comfortable going with whatever occurs to me. Hope this helps!  Smiley
Elizabeth

I really don't think there is a wrong or right way, though admittedly I've not yet gotten myself all that familiar with that aspect of runes -from a traditional standpoint, anyway.
Someone who is well versed in seiðer or galdr might know more, but even then, I'm not sure how much there is to go on.

Bindrunes can be used, I believe, in anyway that suits your purpose. Warriors often used them on their swords and weapons to aid them in battle and protect them, but whether they followed any special ritual or practice..?  Who knows?
I made my own bindrune years back, I'd sometimes draw it on my wrist. I recently made a nice graphic of it on the computer. There are so many endless combinations!

Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 10:47:44 AM »

BTW, worth a mention here.  Technically speaking, the runes are not the cookies, staves or chips with the symbols on them, but the symbols themselves. A little different than say, Tarot.  I'm trying to find the source for this, but it might have been one or more of my many books, not on the Internet.
Makes sense, anyway. 
So, you can absolutely draw a rune in the sand -it's still a rune.

This is also why there is no such thing as a "blank" rune.  How can a symbol be blank?   Wink

phoenix
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 12:44:40 PM »

I like the idea of drawing the rune in the sand too.  I would like to learn about the traditional uses of the runes for magic. 
winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 01:31:34 PM »

sorry, don't know yet how to quote people!

"This is also why there is no such thing as a "blank" rune.  How can a symbol be blank?"

your right G! which is why I probably never used one unless drawn and then I always thought it was a cop out.

The whole purpose of the runes for me is to give guidance or act as - (I cant remember the name of it at the moment  Huh?) the sword which basically all things fall on and they cannot stay on the edge of the blade, but must drop on once side or the other.
(I wish I could remember - help me Google!)

If I am facing a really tough decisions they can sometimes face me with an argument that goes so much against my own intuition that it makes me realise what I actually want to do (like reverse psycology?!). 

I still feel that the rune reading has  be productive and not a failure, as sometimes you almost need to have someone come at you from the other side to make you find the correct path to take.  And the rune you picked that day knew this. Wink 

Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 02:39:56 PM »

sorry, don't know yet how to quote people!

WN, just look at the title header of the post you wish to quote, then look over to the right.. there should be a quote button there. I can put up a screenshot if you like.

BTW, while answering this, another great feature I just now discovered this board has is the ability to multiquote! This is awesome.
To do that, first quote someone as you would normally; then, if you look below your text window, you'll see the previous posts for the thread, and each one has a small link at the top right entitled "Insert Quote".  This allows you to address and quote multiple posts in one shot. (I'll put this up in the FAQ section too)

Mountain Witch
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:42:53 PM »

I use runes in spellwork but not all the time. Like most of what I do, it depends on my mood. I've scribed them on candles, drawn 'em on paper & burned or buried the paper, used them in sigil work (sigil comes out 'way cool-looking), on charm bags, poppets, you name it. There are two scribed on my walking staff, one on my cane.
Opal
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 07:59:40 AM »

Elizabeth

I totally agree! As long as it feels right, makes sense, and most importantly works, who's to say what is or isn't "correct"?  Smiley
Opal
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:04:59 AM »

sometimes I find that the rune alone is enough, and its great that they are so portable so you can keep one in your pocket if you need its help that day - though b e careful not to loose it!

I already sort of do this with whatever rune I pull in the morning, but never thought of doing it with a rune picked for magical purposes. Smiley

Other than that I have inscribed a candle, and also if on the beach its easy to grab a stick and put the markings into the sand and let the tide take the rune symbol away and do its work.

Lucky you living by the beach! The closest I get here in the desert is leaving the windows open when it's windy, closing my eyes, and imaging the ocean (it sounds very close!). lol Still there is lots of sand around that could still be useful I suppose. Smiley
winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 02:01:20 PM »

Lucky you living by the beach! The closest I get here in the desert is leaving the windows open when it's windy, closing my eyes, and imaging the ocean (it sounds very close!). lol Still there is lots of sand around that could still be useful I suppose. Smiley

Lucky you living by the desert!  Sand is amazing, the sands of time - think of how much energy is stored in those little particles - dunes are like a living thing - always moving and changing, so if you mark runes in them, and the sands take them you never know what might happen!

ok, so its evening time, and the kids are in bed, so I am starting to babble....! Wink
ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 09:39:02 AM »

I have also made use of henna paste for temporarily tatooing runes, for a specific purpose. Granted, you have to live with it for a couple of weeks, but for the right reason, very well worth it!
winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 12:56:42 PM »

I have also made use of henna paste for temporarily tatooing runes, for a specific purpose. Granted, you have to live with it for a couple of weeks, but for the right reason, very well worth it!

I like this idea, and they could be placed out of sight, and you can't loose them which would be a bonus! Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: