Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rune Making  (Read 5718 times)
ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« on: February 15, 2011, 08:10:13 PM »

I plan to make my own set, very soon. I've had an Ash branch laying about, waiting for me to get off my rear, for a few months now. I intend to fashion them in as traditional a manner, as possible (with the exception of using a miter saw to cut them and a soldering gun to "carve"). I am looking for a natural way to seal them after staining with the appropriate bodily fluid (blood), and was wondering if anyone knew what would be the best oil to use? The first thought that came to mind was linseed oil, but I am open for suggestions.

Elizabeth
Opal
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 08:50:33 PM »

Beeswax? Walnut oil? Maybe test out a few different things on test chunks and see how they hold up, which feels better, etc.  Smiley
willynilly
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 05:41:38 AM »

I like bees wax but make sure you get clear, the natural is cloudy.
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 09:21:07 AM »

Linseed oil is another possibility, or clear varnish, or even just polyurethane, if you don't mind the synthetic aspect of it.

ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:05:42 PM »

Thank you, so much, for the suggestions. I think that I will take the suggestion of trying a few "test samples". When I cut the Runes, I will use the leftovers for this. If the linseed oil that I have on hand doesn't suffice, where would I find clear beeswax? I am assuming this is a specialty item?
willynilly
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 03:38:06 PM »

You can get clear wax at most craft stores like Michael's or Crafts 2000.
winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:07:08 AM »

sounds like your runes are going to be lovely - will be great to see how they turn out too. Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: