Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Practical Rune Magic  (Read 16063 times)
Mountain Witch
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 01:48:35 PM »

I have also made use of henna paste for temporarily tatooing runes, for a specific purpose. Granted, you have to live with it for a couple of weeks, but for the right reason, very well worth it!

That only works if henna works on you!  I don't want a permanent tatt but sometimes I'd like a temporary one. I've had three different henna artists try on me. It only gets to a light orange and washes off in the next shower! I also tried the same transferable 'ink' they used in "Star Trek: Voyager" for Chakotay's tattoo. That washed right off, too. I'm destined to be a plain Jane.
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 01:52:39 PM »

Beware of "Black" Henna though - the stuff can be unsafe, apparently - from severe allergic reactions to being carcinogenic.

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/index.html

I find a sharpie works well enough for temp tatt   Wink

ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 06:33:11 AM »

I'm glad that you pointed that out about the black henna, Grym. I also like your idea of using a sharpie-it would be gone much faster. Thanks!

MW, did the henna artist exfoliate your skin before applying the henna? I do them myself, they don't usually come out really dark, but the damn things don't completely wash off for a good week and a half. They worked particularly well for protection.  Smiley
Mountain Witch
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 06:46:01 AM »

MW, did the henna artist exfoliate your skin before applying the henna?

Yep. Still didn't take. One of 'em warned me about the perils of 'black' henna so I've stayed away from that. Sharpies and ballpoint pens last until the next shower.
ejfinch
Seer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 07:02:21 AM »

Your skin, apparently, does not want to be adorned! Interesting. I suppose you could use it as an excuse to make some Runic jewelry to wear for the approriate purpose.  Grin
Patrima
Seeker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2011, 02:23:03 PM »

I have yet to get into this too deep or use it myself, but I'm sure the possibilities are endless.

Do you use runes for spellcasting or other forms of magic? What's your preferred way of going about it? (If you don't mind sharing, that is! Smiley)

Well, I finally have some time to participate in this forum.

I use runes magically almost exclusively. The divination aspect eludes me and is one of the reasons why I have joined this forum.

However, I can be useful and contribute with regards to this topic (phew!)

Quick and easy ways to use runes magically are to inscribe them singly on candles, as was mentioned. My favourite way to use them, however, is to use wood or tree nuts and shells to hold inscriptions. My current favourite is using sequoia cones (giant redwood). They are wonderful and hold a lot of power. Then I seal them with resins or beeswax, depending on the intended use of the resulting token. I will cut my runes, not burn or paint them for the most part, first having blackened my blade over a flame.

The most important thing, to me, however, is the careful planning of which runes to use. They are all very powerful and magic wrought with them works well and quickly. So it is really important that I am sure I am using the runes that will support my intention and the time-frame in which I hope to see results. Sometimes, I don't want an 'overnight' change, I want gradual development and change over time. Some runes support one over the other. There's 'change' and then there's 'Change'...so to speak.

I work a lot with bind runes and spend a long time choosing combinations and reworking them to get what I need. I generally use three, and I consider numerology when I make my decisions.

I have created a bind rune which I have transferred to a canvas mat that I use when path-working. I learned the bind rune combination in a dream, and it was given to me as strong protection for wandering in Other.

winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 03:36:34 PM »

Quick and easy ways to use runes magically are to inscribe them singly on candles, as was mentioned. My favourite way to use them, however, is to use wood or tree nuts and shells to hold inscriptions. My current favourite is using sequoia cones (giant redwood). They are wonderful and hold a lot of power. Then I seal them with resins or beeswax, depending on the intended use of the resulting token. I will cut my runes, not burn or paint them for the most part, first having blackened my blade over a flame.

I love this Patrima, using nuts and shells to hold inscriptions - a bit like a little message in a bottle.
Reminds me of a film I watched as a child about cinderalla, I think it was dubbed, maybe it was german, something beautifully different to how its mostly told - anyway! LOL! (I will get back on subject!) in the film cinderella visited a forest and she found a nut, which when opened it she pulled out a whole satin dress and shoes to wear to a ball, all in that little nut - your idea for the nuts just reminded me of the magic of this   Smiley
Patrima
Seeker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »

I love this Patrima, using nuts and shells to hold inscriptions - a bit like a little message in a bottle.
Reminds me of a film I watched as a child about cinderalla, I think it was dubbed, maybe it was german, something beautifully different to how its mostly told - anyway! LOL! (I will get back on subject!) in the film cinderella visited a forest and she found a nut, which when opened it she pulled out a whole satin dress and shoes to wear to a ball, all in that little nut - your idea for the nuts just reminded me of the magic of this   Smiley

That is wonderful! I'd love to see this movie...
And yes- the nuts and cones inscribed with runes are like messages in bottles - exactly!! Because seeds are the beginnings of new life, they can birth the magic that the runes represent and contain. That's why I think it is so important to understand exactly what pieces one is putting together and sealing into the bottle - you must be sure of what it will give birth to and grow to be.
willynilly
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 04:20:28 PM »

I recently bought Makko to make some incense cones as it's self burning. In Japan they take a u shaped piece of wood and make in indent in sand then fill it with makko and burn. I immediately though to drawing a rune in the sand and doing the same thing. It's goes with some of the other posts of drawing the rune and letting it be taken, especially the one on the beach.
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

This was touched on in a different thread here but worth repeating here;  apparently, one of the most often used runic charms was "ALU", which is believed to be what's referred to as the "Ale runes" in The Sigrdrifumol.  It's exact function as an amulet is still debatable, but it might have been seen to have imbued whatever it was inscribed upon with magic, in a general sort of way.. maybe an enabler of sorts. Or, they might have been used in conjunction with Nauthiz as a "fidelity" charm of sorts.

It could be written straight out, left to right, or right to left, as runes could be written either direction. Or up or down, vertically.
Sometimes it was written both ways at once, like this:

It could also be made into a bindrune, like this:

That's a bit clunky though.  And the runemasters of old found a better way!
It's been seen written utilziing a form of runic encryption, known as the hahalruna system, where a runemaster would use the rune Tiwaz as a "base" rune;  marks on the left indicate an Aett, and marks on the right, the number of the rune found in that aett.
Example,  Jera is the 4th rune of the 2nd aett, so there would be 2 marks on the left, and 4 on the right. 

There is one object found that showed this interesting bindrune of ALU, which seems to incorporate the hahalruna system to depict Uruz:
  In this bindrune, you can clearly see Ansuz, as well as Laguz (simply ignore the second mark of Ansuz), but also note the fact there is one mark on the left (1st Aett) and two on the right, indicating Uruz via hahalruna.  Very clever stuff!

I'll touch more on hahalruna and other forms of runic "encryption" in a separate post, but it's really interesting stuff.

So.. long story short, it could be worth adding this to any other runes you wish to use, to see if it makes a difference in efficacy.

Svöl Gunnþra Einarr
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:37 PM »

Now, being that I'm still fairly new to runic divination, I have a question regarding it. When verbally addressing the gods and/ or goddesses, does one particularly ask the Norns (Urdh, Verdandi, and Skuld) for advice?
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 01:34:31 PM »

Now, being that I'm still fairly new to runic divination, I have a question regarding it. When verbally addressing the gods and/ or goddesses, does one particularly ask the Norns (Urdh, Verdandi, and Skuld) for advice?

Speaking for myself, I don't call on Gods. Personally, I believe divination works due to Jung's concept of synchronicity.   But I would assume different things work for different people, a kind of "to each their own" approach.

I also think it might depend on what answer you're looking to get from the runes:  if you wanted, say, insight into your past to understand why you behave a certain way, I would think Urdh would be a logical choice; but for the most part, all three of them collectively weave the web of wyrd and so, you'd probably not want to single any one of the Norns out.

Svöl Gunnþra Einarr
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 12:56:11 PM »

True. Thank you.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: