Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Timing out while posting  (Read 1722 times)
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »

Just an an FYI-

I hope to head off any potential frustration by mentioning this early on, but when you log on here, you'll notice you're given a choice as to how long you wish to stay logged in. 
There's also a check box to leave you always logged in.

If you set a short time, or go with the default of 60 minutes, just be aware that you can time out while typing up a post. If this happens, when you go to submit your post, you'll get an error and be asked to log in again.

Unfortunately, when you do this, (log in again) the forum software does not carry your post forward, and you risk losing everything you just worked on!
Fortunately for me (this had just happened), I also discovered a workaround: 
1) Use the browser back button twice to get back to your post in progress -it should be there, but it might depend on your browser- and hit post again.. this time it should go through intact.

If you find yourself wondering if you've run out of time, you can always play it safe by doing the following:
When you're done typing,  before hitting "Post", click inside the text anywhere,  press "Ctrl A" to select all, then Ctrl C to copy the data to your clipboard. (Sorry, I don't know Macs well enough to give instruction, but any Mac users are welcome to add to this). If you get timed out and lose your post, you can just restart the topic and paste (Ctrl V) it back in. Viola.

The best thing to do though is select a time that will definitely cover you, or just check the box to remain logged in.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: