Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
FAQ
« on: February 07, 2011, 02:32:56 PM »

Frequently Asked Questions:

This FAQ is a work in progress.
The FAQ will apply to the forum board in general, not to the actual subject material.
If you would like to see a FAQ for subject material, drop me a line - PM, or post a message, and feel free to contribute! I could always use another's expertise so long as everything is fact checked.

-  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  

Q:  Can I use a different theme here?

A:  I've disabled other themes at this time due to uncertainty regarding how they'd affect the layout. I selected and then modified this theme after viewing hundreds of different available themes.  You really want to bypass all my hard work?  Wink

Q:  Does this site have anything to do with Magic the Gathering or any other "Rune" based game?

A:  No.  The forum applies strictly to the ancient script of the Norse/Anglo/Germanic peoples, their related lore, and praxes.

Q:  Are you a Rune scholar of any kind?

A: No, I'm just a guy with some IT experience and a fascination for this ancient "alphabet", which is so much more than a mere method of writing.  I've read many, many books on the subject, cover to cover, as well as other sources of information (like the Internet) and have been using runes for years, but there many, far more knowledgeable people around than myself.  
It is my hope that by creating this framework for discussion, I can attract those people here, as well as newbies and intermediates such as myself.

Q:  Is discussion of Asatru and Heathenry appropriate here?

A:  By all means, yes -while, granted, this is not primarily a Northern Tradition site,  one cannot truly understand the runes if they separate them from their proper history and context.

Q: Are you Asatru, or Heathen, or...?

A:  I'm "or ". I walk something of my own path, but I have a deep appreciation and respect for the Northern Traditions, as well as many other pagan or magical systems. Personally though, I prefer a more personal, individualized type of spirituality or philosophy.  

What I don't believe in is tainting or obfuscating original systems such as the North Traditions with New Age syncretism. It seems disrespectful to me.
While I don't wish to unreasonably restrict or censor anyone's viewpoint, if you're a new-ager who is new to runes, you'd probably be better off keeping your chakras and whatnot to yourself, they just don't relate to the runes as many of us see them.
And incidentally, speaking of chakras, they're possibly the most misunderstood metaphysical construct ever - there's an excellent article that sets things straight over at the White Dragon online magazine:
http://whitedragon.org.uk/articles/emperorchakra.htm
I urge everyone to read it.

Q: There's no mention of a blank rune in your Elder Futhark section. Why?

A: Because there was no such thing as a blank rune. It is a new age construct invented by Ralph Blum in the 1970s. It makes about as much sense to me as a blank Tarot card, frankly.

Q: Why is there no section on the Anglo-Saxon Futhork, or any of the Younger Futharks?

A: Well, by and large, the set used most commonly for divination is the Elder Futhark, it seems to be the version most people are familiar with.
Additionally, there are many different versions of the "Younger Futhark", which could complicate matters.  If there is enough interest in the other sets however, I'd certainly be willing to add them to their own section or modify the existing one.

UPDATE: That didn't take long. There has already been an interest expressed in the Anglo-Saxon Futhork, which has 9 additional runes.  Therefore, work is already in progress on a new section for them.

Q:  Which browser does this forum render best in, and are there any issues with any of them here?

A:  In my opinion, this site looks best using Firefox.  It's my browser of choice, and so, it's the browser I used when I created and configured this forum too.  
I've also tested the forum using Internet Explorer 7, and it looked fine, though oddly, the color scheme seemed oddly yellowish. In IE8, however,it appears the same as in Firefox. (It might've been that workstation)

I have not tested it with Opera yet, nor Google Chrome, but since there's nothing fancy like Active-X running here, I don't anticipate any issues.

Q:  Are you affiliated with any other site or author?

A:  Nope.

Q:  What is the secret to life, the universe, and everything?

A:  42

More to come ..

« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 05:17:26 PM by Grymdycche » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: