Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Glossary - Dictionary  (Read 3504 times)
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2011, 05:39:27 PM »

A good many of the archaic words you find in Norse or Anglo Saxon literature (such as Beowulf) are alien to most speakers of Modern English, so to that end, here's a list of some of the more common.
If you read through the Eddas or Sagas, it'll really help to know a few of these.
(This list will grow over time)

Glossary:

fain:   desirous, happily, to be predisposed to  (I am fain to hit the lottery!)
  trow:  to suppose or believe
  ween: to suppose, think, or believe

Dictionary:  This is a dictionary section for modern words related to various topics here.

Kenning:  a poetic phrase used to allude to something  (battle-sweat = blood,  bath of fishes = sea)

These can come in handy if you're looking at the rune poems in their original language:
Old English Master Glossarys

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/engol-MG-X.html
http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Bright%27s_Anglo-Saxon_Reader/Glossary

Mountain Witch
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 06:54:15 PM »

And just to add a sort-of modern twist on things (Scots): a kenning is a 'knowing', generally associated with a vision.
mcdee2005
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 04:24:09 AM »

It is a fact that a lot of the  Norse wording still exists in certain scots dialects, especially the North east of scotland.

And as MW pointed out
And just to add a sort-of modern twist on things (Scots): a kenning is a 'knowing', generally associated with a vision.
at present this has been incorporated into the everyday dialect as "ken" and used as to mean "Know." I suppose if we were to look closer at the various colloquial terms used then the meanings of some of the more obscure Norse words may be revealed, some may however leave us completely baffled
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:29:45 AM »

Also, "ken" has sometimes been linked with "Kenaz" or "Cen", specifically by those who view the torch (OERP) as a symbol of knowledge, insight, and seeing. 
It may be primarily Scottish now, but it's origins are from Middle English "Kennen", Old English "Cennan", and Old Norse "Kenna", so that association seems viable.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ken

Not Kaun though, of course.  Wink

winter night
Runester

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 03:08:47 PM »

Spooky - I am a Fifer, from Scotland and I used to say 'I ken' for I know all the time, before I moved out of Scotland, as then no one knew what I was one about!  So great to see it popping up here - will have to check this out!

my favourite was 'di ye ken what I mean?' - do you know what I mean.  oh the memories....! Cheesy
Mountain Witch
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 04:27:54 PM »

Spooky - I am a Fifer, from Scotland and I used to say 'I ken' for I know all the time, before I moved out of Scotland, as then no one knew what I was one about!  So great to see it popping up here - will have to check this out!

my favourite was 'di ye ken what I mean?' - do you know what I mean.  oh the memories....! Cheesy

You obviously weren't dealing with the 'right' sort of people! LOL  I am American by birth (Scots by heritage but know none of them) and have known what 'ken' means for as long as I can remember!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: