Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The darker runes  (Read 5369 times)
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2012, 01:08:36 PM »

Everyone knows there are a few runes with decidedly unpleasant connotations.  I'll refer to these as the dark runes.. I was going to call them "grim" runes but wanted to avoid any specific association with Odin.  (that would Ansuz  Wink)
In short, Thurisaz, Hagalaz, Nauthiz, and Isa.

What is your take on them?
For now, here's mine:

Thurisaz seems to me the most dreaded, depending on context;  while some see it as strength, I read it as either an impassable barrier(thorns) or an invincible, terrible enemy (giant).  Unless it's referring to you yourself, it suggests an environment of no success.

I'm on the fence regarding Hagalaz; a lot of runetarians (hey! I invented a new word) see it as "disruption", but going by the poems, hail is generally a "cold wet grain", not to mention the sickness of serpents.. it seems more like a blessing in disguise. In a way, perhaps not all that different from Nauthiz, but even less burdensome.

Nauthiz, the rune of necessity, need, constraint, hardship. It counsels patience.  It reminds us of the difference between what we want and what we only need.  It puts us in our place should we get smug. Fortunately, it's a trial by fire, temporary, and after the ordeal, we are better for it; stronger and wiser.  

Isa strikes me as a long term issue, with all that stagnation, things freezing in place, and yet deceptively looking gorgeous through it all, just a dangerous lie that beckons to ensnare you. Progress falls flat on it's face, everything is locked up and shut in. And not all that glitters is gold!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: