Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Throwing runes?  (Read 7080 times)
willynilly
Seer

View Profile WWW
« on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:39 PM »

I have a question could you "throw" runes like they "throw" bones? Would it be disrespectful? Could you mix other items with the runes like dice or rocks or trinkets? If you put down a cloth with rings (one past, present, future) and read the runes in the rings would that be accurate?
Grymdycche
Administrator
Vitki

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 06:04:13 PM »

Absolutely wn! That's just another type of spread, really.
Offhand, I can't remember which of my books mention that form of reading, but I think the Runecaster's Handbook is one of them.
I think the way it was read was, runes closest to the center were either of the more immediate future, getting more distant in time as you read towards the edge, or of more significance. I think the former though.  Runes that fall face down can either be ignored, or read as "murkstaves", and also runes that fall in close proximity to each other have a stronger bearing on each other, reinforcing the meanings they make in combination, than runes that fall apart from each other or oppose each other i.e. one far right, one far left.

If in fact it was the casting of runes that Tacitus wrote about in his work "Germania" (though he only mentioned staves from a fruit bearing tree) it would indicate that it was the original method of runic divination.  And while we have no concrete proof it was actually runes that were inscribed on those staves, I'm not aware of any other symbology used by the ancient germanics... what else could it be?

But outside of that, I think pretty much any reading system you devise, so long as it is consistent, should work for you. In fact, much like spellwork, one you customize yourself might work better for you than any of the standard types.  (I'm being maybe a bit hypocritical here, I've never used anything other than the Celtic Cross when reading Tarot, lol)

willynilly
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 07:42:55 PM »

Cool I'm gonna try it. I am just waiting for supplies.
NewVitki
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 12:11:38 PM »

I certainly agree that it is more important that one has a way of working that allows a question to be asked, the caster to engage with the medium, and for their to be a consistent way of reading/interpreting the answer. If pulling your rune staves from a bag and placing them down in a particular order represents your way of being, then I would suggest one sticks with that. If you prefer a more "holistic" appraich relying on seeing meaning in the "randomness" of the pattern as well as the the way the staves relate to each other, then that is the better path for you.

I tend to use the method that most closely matches the question being asked. Where I am looking for the answer to a question with a clear "past influences, present issue, potential outcome" reading, then I will prefer to use a three rune or other systematic spread. Where the question is less defined, or someone wants a more general reading, then a casting approach allows for a complex reading and allows the identification of a greater number of influences and factors.
willynilly
Seer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »

That makes sense. I will try them both out and see how I feel. Up until now I have been just trying to learn the runes and using them in spell work.
NewVitki
Seeker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 03:37:25 AM »

Certainly learning the runes is tricksy, because you have far fewer clues from the rune compared to tarot cards, and a smaller number of representations to work with, and so the runes tend to be more "dense" and packed with meaning and information.

However, I also know that with practice, patience and perseverance, you will will get there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: